If you are looking for an alternative to Apple iPad 2, the closest competition comes from Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Honeycomb Android Tablet. It is just 8.6mm thin. It’s also superior to iPad2 with full 1080p Video recording. But, camera/video recording are least used features in gadgets of this size. See this advertisement and get excited if you are an Android/Samsung fan !
- iPhone 4 build quality and looks are better than Samsung’s all-plastic SGS2. Personal preference matters here
- iPhone 4 is more compact than SGSII. SGS2 may not be suitable for people with small hands. But you get large viewing space in SGS. Perdonal preference matters here too.
- iPhone has awesome retina display with screen resolution of “960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi”(which is better than qHD resolution of 960×540) against Samsung’s WVGA(800-by-480) in Super AMOLED-plus display. SGS2 display seems to have infinite contrast ratio with impenetrable black. It’s hard to choose either one of them.
- iPhone has single core A4 processor against Samsung’s dual core.
- SGSII can record and play 1080p FullHD Video against iphone’s 720p recording. Samsung wins here
- SGS2 has 8Mega pixel camera. iPhone 4 only 5MP. Samsung wins in image quality too
- Coming to Indian language support like Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Malayalam & Bengali iOS4 of iPhone wins as it has native UNICODE support for these languages. Android yet start development in this front. Huge win for iPhone4 if you consume local language content more.
- Apples iTunes store has more apps than Android. But android is catching with Appstore very fast.
- Price of Samsung Galaxy s 2 is close to Rs31000/-. Iphone 4 base model 16GB is Rs35000+ must have 2 years contact with Airtel or Aircel plans which is approximately Rs500-600 per month. This increases the total cost of ownership of iPhone 4 India to Rs50000/- or more. But these phone companies advertises as if they are giving the iPhone for free!!!
So what’s your choice Samsung or Apple?
The ongoing West Indies vs India series is being Telecast in Ten Cricket. Now they have come up with a High Definition channel Ten Cricket HD, which is telecast in 1080i and 5.1 surround sound. This channel is currently available on the following DTH:
Now it is available in TataSky as well.
But no signs of this channel in TataSky, BIG TV, Videocon and Sundirect yet.
After the Dish TV’s 30+ HD channels claim, it’s turn of Reliance BIG TV with 250 HD like quality channels. They have given the advertisement in all leading newspapers.
That too they claim 1080p & 10 times the existing image quality. I want to tell you, this complete nonsense claim. They have only very few HD channels(1080i) and most of them do not have 5.1 audio itself! They are not doing anything to improve the image quality or have HD source for all these channels. Teh interesting part is they are not even telling it is 1080i or 720p picture resolution. 1080p channels are not available in India . Not even in Tata Sky which is the best HD DTH available in India as of now. 1080p transmissions are resource hugry and I don’t expect them in India in next 5 years. Even in countries like US, there are very few full HD 1080p channels.
They are just doing a ad gimmick to get the attention. Period.
But they have added new HD channels like Star Plus HD, Star Movies HD and Start Sports HD today.
iPad 2 is getting officially launched on April 29,2009 in India.
But iPad2 is sale on some sites like HomeShop18. But the warranty offered there may not be accepted by apple as they didn’t launch the product in India before aprlir 29th. Also the price quoted in HomeShop is also high : at least Rs5000/- higher than the prices expected in Apple stores.
Following are the expected price of Official iPad2:
iPad2 Wifi only 16GB : Rs 29500/-
iPad2 Wifi only 32GB : Rs 34500/-
iPad2 Wifi only 64GB : Rs 39500/-
iPad2 Wifi+3G only 16GB : Rs 36900/-
iPad2 Wifi+3G only 32GB : Rs 41900/-
iPad2 Wifi+3G only 64GB : Rs 46900/-
Locate your nearest Apple retailer ( Like Reliance Digital/Chrome) using : Apple Retailers Search for India
Tata Sky launched four new High Definition Channels today 15th April 2011.
2)Star World HD
3) Star Gold HD
4) Star Plus HD
All these channels offers 1080i HD resolution with Dolby 5.1 Audio. Previously Star Plus HD was available in Upscaled mode. Now it is offered with truw HD resolution 16:9 aspect ratio along with other HD channels.
Now, Tata Sky is best DTH in terms of true HD contents with 6 full time HD channels ( Include Discover Channel HD and National Geographic HD ). They also show IPL in HD!!!
But they do not have Movies Now HD.
Tata Sky DTH has launched Start Movies HD in India. This High Definition channel shows the same program as in the SD channel. But these offer 1080i HD resolution with Dolby 5.1 sound.
These are available in Tata Sky HD STB or Tata Sky HD Plus DVR.
Star Movies HD Channel Number on Tata Sky: 342
Star Movies HD Screenshots below:
Recently Cricket World Cup 2011 was broadcast in HD on all the major players in DTH segment in India. Now this is being brought to IPL as well. In IPL season 3 only SunDirect was telecasting in HD as they were the only HD providers at that time.
Things have changes recently and everyone is gearing up for the High Definition Market share. HD is good as they do not have Advertisements and wide-screen picture( which is cut of at the two ends in regular telecast )
Tata Sky Chanel Number of Set MAX HD: 306 ( next to regular Set MAX )
Aircel which was predominantly present in TamilNadu is now available all over the country. They have Dhoni as brand ambassador. Launched 3G services recently.
To activate Aircel 3G:
1) SMS “START 3G” to 121 from your Aircel Mobile
2) Submit the form at their official site
To deactivate or stop 3G in Airel:
Just SMS “STOP 3G” to 121