Flipkart one of the reliable online stores in India, has launched Online music store called Flyte. It is very interesting move given that most of the online users in India downloads mp3 songs from thousands of warez sites available. Many do not even know that their downloads may be illegal. Flipkart tries to change the game with iTunes like music downloads where you can buy individual songs.
The key features include:
- DRM free music – you can play on any device anywhere and there is no control over who copies it and uses.
- Song preview: You play the song for 30seconds before you can buy it
- Looks like they offer only 128kbps encoded mp3 which is good for most purposes. But there are audiophiles who can differentiate 192/256/320kbps VBR from 128kbps. they may offer that future.
- Available Language albums currently: Hindi,English,Tamil,Telugu,Punjabi,Malayalam, Bengali,Bhojpuri, Marathi, Gujarati, Kannada, Rajasthani, Oriya, Sanskrit, Konkani, Urdu, Assamese, Angika, Awadhi, Bundeli, Chhattisgarhi, Garhwali, Haryanvi, Himachali, Kashmiri, Khortha, Kumaoni, Maarwari, Magadhi, Maithili, Manipuri, Naga, Nepali, Pali, Sambalpuri, Sindhi, Italian, Spanish, French, Swedish
- The available Generes: Devotional & Spiritual, Hindustani, Carnatic, Pop, Rock, Film / OST, Indipop (Indian Artists), Qawwali, Ghazal, Sufi, Lounge / Fusion, Electronic/Dance, Folk, Special Interest, Jazz, World Music, Blues, Children & Young Adults, Country & Western, Dance Styles, Exercise & Fitness, Rap & Hip-Hop, Reggae, Soul / R&B, Festivals & Occassions, Instrumental, Live, Classical
Too early to comment if they will offer lossess encoding like WAV,FLAC . They seem to have plans for player like iTunes and Android/Apple iOS clients
The important question is: Will the Indians ‘buy’ digital music ‘online’?