What’s the right High Definition TV for use with the Indian DTH such as TataSky and Airtel Digital TV? There are several brands are available in the market: Samsung, Sony , Videocon, Philips etc., So the question is:
How do I chose the right HD TV?
There are several factors involved:
- Budget Rs 25000 or Rs 1lac and above. Now the price has gone down on HD TVs and we can get top band HD Tv for as low as Rs 25K for 32 inch TV
- Room Size. If the average viewing distance is 4-6 feet. Better to go for 32 inch TV. If it above 8 feet we can go for 42,46, inch TV
- 32 inch TV or 55 inch TV. If you are going to use teh TV for watching normal SD channels better opt for smaller size TV as the bigger TV the picture will be grained.
- Primary use of the Television: Whether it will be used to watch the Standard definition channels most of the time or the TV will be fed with High definition content from HD DTH , Blue Ray players, HD Media players like WD TV. If you use the TV for watching High Definition content in most cases you could opt for bigger size TV
- LCD TV or LED TV or 3D TV: Unless you have enough money to spend don’t go for 3D Tvs at this time. There is very minimal content available for 3D TVs and there are no 3D channels available in India. Only Videocon D2H has some test feed for 3D Service. LED TV is costlier than LCD TVs. LED TVs has better contrast and size is very thin. If you are ready to spend more money on these to advantages sure go ahead with LED TV. For average budget go for high end LCD TVs.
- What about SMART TV from Samsung: It’s very costly at the moment. Also you need an Home Network setup and need to connect your TV with ethernet connection. If you don’t have any plan for this ignore SMART TV. A better option would be to get an High Definition Media player that has the features like Youtube and connect it to your HD TV. That would work cheap and you get almost all the features of the high cost so called SMART TVs.
- How many HDMI ports needed in the TV: One for DTH. One for HD Media Player. At least one more is needed for conecting your high end Mobile phone Cameras, Cam corders. In case you plan to buy an XBOX or PlayStation in the future you want to connect it permanently to one HDMI port. Anyway, most of the HD TVs come with at least 4 HDMi ports. Check this based on your need.
- What about Media player support n HD TV. Though many TVs claim media play support for Pictures, Audio Video files, they have strong limitation of features. Most cases they won’t be able to play HD content! They can not decode your MKV files. Ignore these set of features. Get yourself a HD Media player.
- What is the best DTH with HD support ? Read this HD DTH Comparision.
- Top Brands to Choose: Samsung, Sony BRAVIA, Philips, Videocon
What other accessories needed for my HD TV?
- HD Media Player like WD TV if you want to play HD content stored in disks.
- HDMI Cable. Most TVs don’t come with HDMI cable included. The DTH Set Top Box comes with HDMI cable. It’s better to buy yourself one. The cost is from Rs200 to 500. Don’t spend more than that.