EspnStar has launched ESPN HD channel after the launch of the recent Star Cricket High Definition Channel. Now we have two High definition channels for Sports in Indian DTH.
Now the channel has been added to the following DTH: TataSky(getting added 30th Oct 2011) , Videocon D2H(first DTH to add this channel) and BIG TV HD DTH.
Let’s hope other DTH operators: Airtel Digital TV, Sundirect and Dish TV adds ESPN HD.
HD DTH Comparison with Asli HD Channel List
What’s the right High Definition TV for use with the Indian DTH such as TataSky and Airtel Digital TV? There are several brands are available in the market: Samsung, Sony , Videocon, Philips etc., So the question is:
How do I chose the right HD TV?
There are several factors involved:
- Budget Rs 25000 or Rs 1lac and above. Now the price has gone down on HD TVs and we can get top band HD Tv for as low as Rs 25K for 32 inch TV
- Room Size. If the average viewing distance is 4-6 feet. Better to go for 32 inch TV. If it above 8 feet we can go for 42,46, inch TV
- 32 inch TV or 55 inch TV. If you are going to use teh TV for watching normal SD channels better opt for smaller size TV as the bigger TV the picture will be grained.
- Primary use of the Television: Whether it will be used to watch the Standard definition channels most of the time or the TV will be fed with High definition content from HD DTH , Blue Ray players, HD Media players like WD TV. If you use the TV for watching High Definition content in most cases you could opt for bigger size TV
- LCD TV or LED TV or 3D TV: Unless you have enough money to spend don’t go for 3D Tvs at this time. There is very minimal content available for 3D TVs and there are no 3D channels available in India. Only Videocon D2H has some test feed for 3D Service. LED TV is costlier than LCD TVs. LED TVs has better contrast and size is very thin. If you are ready to spend more money on these to advantages sure go ahead with LED TV. For average budget go for high end LCD TVs.
- What about SMART TV from Samsung: It’s very costly at the moment. Also you need an Home Network setup and need to connect your TV with ethernet connection. If you don’t have any plan for this ignore SMART TV. A better option would be to get an High Definition Media player that has the features like Youtube and connect it to your HD TV. That would work cheap and you get almost all the features of the high cost so called SMART TVs.
- How many HDMI ports needed in the TV: One for DTH. One for HD Media Player. At least one more is needed for conecting your high end Mobile phone Cameras, Cam corders. In case you plan to buy an XBOX or PlayStation in the future you want to connect it permanently to one HDMI port. Anyway, most of the HD TVs come with at least 4 HDMi ports. Check this based on your need.
- What about Media player support n HD TV. Though many TVs claim media play support for Pictures, Audio Video files, they have strong limitation of features. Most cases they won’t be able to play HD content! They can not decode your MKV files. Ignore these set of features. Get yourself a HD Media player.
- What is the best DTH with HD support ? Read this HD DTH Comparision.
- Top Brands to Choose: Samsung, Sony BRAVIA, Philips, Videocon
What other accessories needed for my HD TV?
- HD Media Player like WD TV if you want to play HD content stored in disks.
- HDMI Cable. Most TVs don’t come with HDMI cable included. The DTH Set Top Box comes with HDMI cable. It’s better to buy yourself one. The cost is from Rs200 to 500. Don’t spend more than that.
After the Dish TV’s 30+ HD channels claim, it’s turn of Reliance BIG TV with 250 HD like quality channels. They have given the advertisement in all leading newspapers.
That too they claim 1080p & 10 times the existing image quality. I want to tell you, this complete nonsense claim. They have only very few HD channels(1080i) and most of them do not have 5.1 audio itself! They are not doing anything to improve the image quality or have HD source for all these channels. Teh interesting part is they are not even telling it is 1080i or 720p picture resolution. 1080p channels are not available in India . Not even in Tata Sky which is the best HD DTH available in India as of now. 1080p transmissions are resource hugry and I don’t expect them in India in next 5 years. Even in countries like US, there are very few full HD 1080p channels.
They are just doing a ad gimmick to get the attention. Period.
But they have added new HD channels like Star Plus HD, Star Movies HD and Start Sports HD today.
Tata Sky launched four new High Definition Channels today 15th April 2011.
1) Star Movies HD
2)Star World HD
3) Star Gold HD
4) Star Plus HD
All these channels offers 1080i HD resolution with Dolby 5.1 Audio. Previously Star Plus HD was available in Upscaled mode. Now it is offered with truw HD resolution 16:9 aspect ratio along with other HD channels.
Now, Tata Sky is best DTH in terms of true HD contents with 6 full time HD channels ( Include Discover Channel HD and National Geographic HD ). They also show IPL in HD!!!
But they do not have Movies Now HD.
IPL Season 4 will be telecast in High Definition in Major DTH like Tata Sky and Digital TV.
Recently Cricket World Cup 2011 was broadcast in HD on all the major players in DTH segment in India. Now this is being brought to IPL as well. In IPL season 3 only SunDirect was telecasting in HD as they were the only HD providers at that time.
Things have changes recently and everyone is gearing up for the High Definition Market share. HD is good as they do not have Advertisements and wide-screen picture( which is cut of at the two ends in regular telecast )
Tata Sky Chanel Number of Set MAX HD: 306 ( next to regular Set MAX )
High Definition DTH Comparison
Times Television Network is ready to launch a new High Definition English movie channel. TOI writes
Times Television Network brings yet another uniquely positioned TV channel to urban India, Movies Now. This channel will give its viewers a whole new experience with stunning pictures in 1080i and awesome 5.1 surround sound. Viewers will get to watch the best of Hollywood in HD for the first time in India.
Soon it is expected in Indian DTH like TataSky, Airtel and BIG.
Already TataSky is planning for Star Movies HD. If these two launches, we’ll have a great entertainment in HD Hollywood movies .
Movies now launched their service on 19 Dec 2010 by Times NetworkÂ whichÂ also runs channels like “Times Now” News. Channel is broadcast both in SD(StandardÂ Definition) and HD(High Definition). The SD channel is broadcast by cable network as as of now. It is seen in local cables network in many cities including Chennai.
Soon the HD channels should be available in DTH.
Update(24 Dec 2010):
Sun Direct HD has added Movies Now HD
For the list of HD Channels in Indian DTH : HD TV Channels in India