EspnStar has launched ESPN HD channel after the launch of the recent Star Cricket High Definition Channel. Now we have two High definition channels for Sports in Indian DTH.
Now the channel has been added to the following DTH: TataSky(getting added 30th Oct 2011) , Videocon D2H(first DTH to add this channel) and BIG TV HD DTH.
Let’s hope other DTH operators: Airtel Digital TV, Sundirect and Dish TV adds ESPN HD.
HD DTH Comparison with Asli HD Channel List
What’s the right High Definition TV for use with the Indian DTH such as TataSky and Airtel Digital TV? There are several brands are available in the market: Samsung, Sony , Videocon, Philips etc., So the question is:
How do I chose the right HD TV?
There are several factors involved:
- Budget Rs 25000 or Rs 1lac and above. Now the price has gone down on HD TVs and we can get top band HD Tv for as low as Rs 25K for 32 inch TV
- Room Size. If the average viewing distance is 4-6 feet. Better to go for 32 inch TV. If it above 8 feet we can go for 42,46, inch TV
- 32 inch TV or 55 inch TV. If you are going to use teh TV for watching normal SD channels better opt for smaller size TV as the bigger TV the picture will be grained.
- Primary use of the Television: Whether it will be used to watch the Standard definition channels most of the time or the TV will be fed with High definition content from HD DTH , Blue Ray players, HD Media players like WD TV. If you use the TV for watching High Definition content in most cases you could opt for bigger size TV
- LCD TV or LED TV or 3D TV: Unless you have enough money to spend don’t go for 3D Tvs at this time. There is very minimal content available for 3D TVs and there are no 3D channels available in India. Only Videocon D2H has some test feed for 3D Service. LED TV is costlier than LCD TVs. LED TVs has better contrast and size is very thin. If you are ready to spend more money on these to advantages sure go ahead with LED TV. For average budget go for high end LCD TVs.
- What about SMART TV from Samsung: It’s very costly at the moment. Also you need an Home Network setup and need to connect your TV with ethernet connection. If you don’t have any plan for this ignore SMART TV. A better option would be to get an High Definition Media player that has the features like Youtube and connect it to your HD TV. That would work cheap and you get almost all the features of the high cost so called SMART TVs.
- How many HDMI ports needed in the TV: One for DTH. One for HD Media Player. At least one more is needed for conecting your high end Mobile phone Cameras, Cam corders. In case you plan to buy an XBOX or PlayStation in the future you want to connect it permanently to one HDMI port. Anyway, most of the HD TVs come with at least 4 HDMi ports. Check this based on your need.
- What about Media player support n HD TV. Though many TVs claim media play support for Pictures, Audio Video files, they have strong limitation of features. Most cases they won’t be able to play HD content! They can not decode your MKV files. Ignore these set of features. Get yourself a HD Media player.
- What is the best DTH with HD support ? Read this HD DTH Comparision.
- Top Brands to Choose: Samsung, Sony BRAVIA, Philips, Videocon
What other accessories needed for my HD TV?
- HD Media Player like WD TV if you want to play HD content stored in disks.
- HDMI Cable. Most TVs don’t come with HDMI cable included. The DTH Set Top Box comes with HDMI cable. It’s better to buy yourself one. The cost is from Rs200 to 500. Don’t spend more than that.
IPL Season 4 will be telecast in High Definition in Major DTH like Tata Sky and Digital TV.
Recently Cricket World Cup 2011 was broadcast in HD on all the major players in DTH segment in India. Now this is being brought to IPL as well. In IPL season 3 only SunDirect was telecasting in HD as they were the only HD providers at that time.
Things have changes recently and everyone is gearing up for the High Definition Market share. HD is good as they do not have Advertisements and wide-screen picture( which is cut of at the two ends in regular telecast )
Tata Sky Chanel Number of Set MAX HD: 306 ( next to regular Set MAX )
High Definition DTH Comparison
Dish TV TruHD claims to have added 30 channels. But the truth is they have only 3 channels in HD quality 1080i with 16:9 apspect ratio:
1) Nat Geo HD
2) Discovery HD
3) Movies Now HD
The ESPN HD and Star Cricket HD are also real High definition channels. But they are available only for some events like ICC World cup.
The remaining 27 channels are just upscaled ones. You won’t find any difference in quality( may be they are slightly better than Dish TV SD channels due to higher bit rate) . If you compare them to Tata Sky SD channels, they will have same quality. So don’t get fooled by the 30 HD channels news.
Times Television Network is ready to launch a new High Definition English movie channel. TOI writes
Times Television Network brings yet another uniquely positioned TV channel to urban India, Movies Now. This channel will give its viewers a whole new experience with stunning pictures in 1080i and awesome 5.1 surround sound. Viewers will get to watch the best of Hollywood in HD for the first time in India.
Soon it is expected in Indian DTH like TataSky, Airtel and BIG.
Already TataSky is planning for Star Movies HD. If these two launches, we’ll have a great entertainment in HD Hollywood movies .
Movies now launched their service on 19 Dec 2010 by Times NetworkÂ whichÂ also runs channels like “Times Now” News. Channel is broadcast both in SD(StandardÂ Definition) and HD(High Definition). The SD channel is broadcast by cable network as as of now. It is seen in local cables network in many cities including Chennai.
Soon the HD channels should be available in DTH.
Update(24 Dec 2010):
Sun Direct HD has added Movies Now HD
For the list of HD Channels in Indian DTH : HD TV Channels in India
Airtel champions league Twenty 20 CLT20 is now availa ble in High Definition. In this Mumbai Indian, Chennai Super Kings(CSK) and Bangalore Royal Challengers participate with other 7 overseas team.
Tata Sky DTH Star Cricket HD on Channel number : 417
Probably Dish TV,Airtel DigitalTV and BIG TV will soon add this channel.
Star Cricket HD in Tata Sky Pictures:
For High Definition DTH comparison for India see this post.
BIG TV DTH introduced HD service. It is the only High Definition DTH service to offer DVR recording capability in the HD Set Top Box. So, the entry cost bit higher than other HD DTH services. The HD DVR box cost is Rs 4990/-
For the updated listÂ comparison of other DTH see: Ultimate HD DTH Comparison
They have only very few HD channels to offer at present.
Following are the High Definition Channels available in BIG TV HD:
- National Geographic HD
- Star Plus HD
they are expected to add Discovery HD and other channels soon.
Other DTH Channel List: TataSky, SunDirect, Dish TV,BIG TV, Videocon D2H, Airtel Digital TV DTH
As per The Telegraph report, Dish TV , Big TV and Tata Sky are entering High Definition service.
Dish TV is expected to be priced around Rs7500/-(Expected by June 2010 )
BIG TV expected to be priced around Rs6000/-( Expected by June 2010 )
Tats Sky is also starting HD Service. But there no tentative date yet.
Continue reading “Dish TV,BIG and TataSky to offer HD Service at lower price”